[intro]In this Guide you can learn how to install and configure the Gift Cards feature on your EKM online shop. Before you begin, you need to ensure that you have populated your EKM online shop with some Categories and Products, at least one Payment Gateway and a Delivery Method.[/intro]
[remember]This feature is only available to EKM online shops on the Pro, Advanced and Standard tiers If you wish to upgrade your account, you’ll need to contact the Customer Support Team.[/remember]
Gift Cards are a fantastic way of encouraging new customers to your EKM online shop. When this feature has been installed and configured, you’ll be able to offer Gift Cards to your customers, which they can purchase and spend the credit on at a later date.
Installing the Feature
1. From the Dashboard, click the Features tab:
2. Click the Feature Library tab:
3. Scroll down to the Shop Management features and click the View More button on the right-hand side:
4. Click the Gift Cards icon:
5. Now you need to click the green Install Feature button:
6. Now you need to click the green Launch button in the top right-hand corner:
7. This will launch the feature on your EKM online shop:
Setting up your Gift Card
8. Click the green Setup Product button to begin:
9. On this next page, you need to give your Gift Card a name in the field provided, and then add a Description. Your Description needs to be around 200 words ideally:
[tips] You can read more about Product Descriptions in this Guide. [/tips]
10. Tick the box to Display Product - this will make the Gift Card Product visible and available for sale. If you wish to display the Gift Card on your Homepage as a Featured Product, tick the box for Special Offer too. In the final box - Expiry Date - add a digit for the number of years that the Gift Card will remain valid for:
11. On the far right-hand side, you can add an Image to your Gift Card. This should be a square image, no smaller than 500 x 500 pixels, and ideally 1024 x 1024 pixels for optimum results. Click Edit Image:
12. In the window that appears, you need to click Upload Image:
13. In the second window, click Select File:
14. When you have selected the image from your computer, you’ll see a preview of it in the window. Now you need to click Upload File:
15. In the next window, click the name of your image file to apply it to your Gift Card:
16. You’ll then see your Product Image displayed on the right-hand side:
17. Below the Product Image element, you’ll see the Category element. Use the drop-down menu here to select which Category you would like your Gift Card to be displayed within:
18. In the Pricing box toward the bottom of the page, you need to add any Variations of amounts to your Gift Card, by entering a value and then clicking the green plus button:
[tips]You must add a minimum of one Variation to the Pricing box in order to give your Gift Card a single value. [/tips]
19. When you have finished adding your Variations, your Pricing box should look like this. Click the green Save button in the bottom right-hand corner:
[tips]It would be a good idea to create a Webpage all about your Gift Cards to explain to your customers how they work, what format they will arrive in and how to purchase them. [/tips]
What your customers see
20. The Product Page for your Gift Card will look something like this:
21. When the customer has added a Gift Card to their order, this will be sent to them via a digital delivery method. Your customer's recipient will receive an email with the subject line: ‘[EKM online shop name] - Gift Card’. The email details the Gift Card code that they need to enter on the Checkout Flow, the expiry date of the Gift Card and most importantly, a link to your EKM online shop to encourage them to visit:
22. When the customer reaches the Cart Page, they can add their Gift Voucher code into the field provided:
[caution]Check your settings on the Cart Page to ensure that the box for Promo Codes is ticked and the Gift Voucher Or Promo Code field is visible on the Cart Page. [/caution]
23. When the code from the Gift Card has been applied, this too will be visible on the Cart Page:
24. If the customer changes their mind and wishes to remove the Gift Card from being used on this particular transaction, they simply need to click Remove on the right-hand side of the Checkout Flow:
Managing your Gift Cards
1. On any orders where Gift Cards have been used, this is visible on the Order itself:
[remember]Gift cards are tax-exempt products. This is because the customer pays tax on the products that they purchase when they use the card, so the gift card itself is exempt as effectively, tax is paid when the card is used. [/remember]
2. Within the Gift Cards feature itself, you can see the status of any Gift Cards that have previously been sold:
Code - This is the Gift Card code that has been issued to your customer.
Customer - The name of the customer who purchased the Gift Card.
Balance - There are two figures here, separated by a slash. The first figure is how much credit remains on the Gift Card and the second Figure is the value of the Gift Card when it was originally purchased.
Status - This is the Status of each Gift Card that has been purchased.
Active - This is a card that has been used with at least one purchase and still holds some credit.
Not Active - This is a card that has been bought but the customer has not made any purchases yet.
Disabled - This card has been disabled by the EKM online shop owner.
Empty - This card has been purchased and all of the credit on this Gift Card has been spent.
Last Updated - Here you’ll find the time and date of the most recent activity on the Gift Card, including updates by the customer (such as using the Gift Card during a transaction) or by the EKM online shop owner (such as resending or disabling the card).
[remember]As you sell more Gift Cards, you can click through the tabs at the top of the Gift Cards feature to list the cards according to their status:
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I resend the Gift Card Code?
Follow the instructions within this Guide.
How can I see what the balance on each card is?
By logging into your EKM online shop and opening the Gift Card feature on the Features page. You’ll see a full list of all of your Gift Cards there.
Do my customers need to spend the entire balance?
No, they can spend a portion of the credit on the Gift Card if they wish - they don’t need to spend it all at once.
How can I disable a Gift Card?
Follow the instructions within this Guide.
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. If you have a non-account specific question to ask the EKM Team, join us in EKM Community. [/contact]