[intro]When you’re in the process of building your EKM online shop, you may want to change the name from what you entered into the platform when you first opened your account. In this Guide, you’ll learn how to change your name and where to amend it on your EKM online shop account.[/intro]
If you wish to change the name of your EKM online shop, how much you need to change depends on how far you have got with setting up your shop. Work through the steps below which will take you through the process of changing your shop’s name according to what you have set up so far.
[remember]If you want to change your Account ID - also known as your Username - which is typically a combination of six letters and numbers, this is not possible; this Account ID is unique to your EKM online shop account, is not visible to your customers when a domain name has been applied and is not related to the actual name of your EKM online shop. [/tips]
Shop Details and Shop Meta Data
1. The first place you need to change your EKM online shop’s name is on the Shop Details page. From the Dashboard, click the Settings tab:
2. Click Shop Details on the left-hand side:
3. On this page, you need to amend the content of the Shop Name field, and if applicable, the Company Name field too:
4. Scroll further down the same page and slick the Shop Meta Data tab:
5. You’ll need to amend the shop name in the Meta Page Title field, and in the Meta Description and Meta Keywords fields if you have added content to these already. When you have finished, click the green Save button in the bottom right-hand corner of the page:
[tips]If you’re not sure what you need to add to the Shop Meta Data fields, this Guide will take you through the process of completing this section. [/tips]
6. Now you need to click Your Details on the left-hand side:
7. On this page, you need to amend the Company Name if applicable:
8. Scroll to the footer of the page and click the green Save button on the right-hand side:
Your next step is to change your logo to reflect your new shop name. If you have had a logo designed previously, you need to upload this to your EKM online shop using the steps in this Guide. Alternatively, if you designed your logo using the Logo Builder, you need to create a new logo by following the steps in this Guide.
If you have already purchased a domain name from another domain provider with your old shop name incorporated into it, you will need to purchase a new domain name. You can claim a free domain name from EKM by following the steps within this Guide, but if you have already claimed this, you will need to purchase a new domain name from within your EKM Domains account and make this the primary domain on your EKM online shop.
[remember]Domain names can’t be ‘turned off’ - once they’ve been created at the point of purchase, they exist for a period of twelve months before they can either be renewed or left to expire. If you have an excess domain name that you don’t need, you can still point it at your EKM online shop and possibly gain some visitors as a result, however you must remember to make sure that this old domain is not set up as the primary domain on your EKM online shop. This is so that the old domain points to your shop, but when visitors arrive they will only see the new domain name. [/remember]
Finally, you need to check your visible content to see if there’s anywhere else that the Shop Name is mentioned. This is commonly:
- within the footer of your EKM online shop
- on the Contact Us Webpage;
- on the Terms & Conditions Webpage.
It’s also worth checking the Design Images on your EKM online shop too - particularly ones involving text or logos to ensure that the new name is implemented on both with no trace of your old Shop Name.
[tips]If you've had to purchase a new domain name as the result of your Shop Name change, you'll need to check all the social media your have set up for your EKM online shop and any details you've used to submit it to Google and Bing too. [/tips]
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. If you have a non-account specific question ask the EKM Team, join us in ekmCommunity. [/contact]