[intro]When you have completed this Guide, you’ll know the best ways to use fonts on your EKM online shop, understand what universal fonts are and how to implement these if the specific version you would like it not available on your EKM online shop.[/intro]
Fonts are different styles of text which can be used on your EKM online shop and on any online platform. The Theme that you apply to your EKM online shop will have specific kinds of fonts implemented within it. Elements such as Category Name, Product Names, the Menu and the Checkout Flow will all use fonts that have been designed to be used with your Theme.
You can change the fonts within Webpage content, Product Descriptions and In-Category Descriptions, but you shouldn’t need to as any text added within this area will automatically use the font dictated by the Theme that you’re using.
Dos & Don’ts
- Limit the amount of fonts you use. To ensure that your EKM online shop looks as professional as possible, use just two or three fonts maximum. This would be a font within your logo, perhaps one for use on your Design Images and the one dictated by the Theme that you’re using.
- Use simple fonts - anything that’s excessively ‘busy’ or decorative can be difficult to read, especially if it’s been applied to an image.
- Avoid fonts that resemble text from famous movies, brands and TV shows. Although these are fun to use in an informal setting, for your EKM online shop you need to be aware of the connotations that are attached to famous fonts, and some of these are copyrighted too so using them could land you in hot legal water. The classic Disney font is a good example of this.
- Use lots of different font styles within a single body of text, such as within a Product Description, an In-Category Description or a Webpage. This looks very unprofessional and although this method of highlighting text can be popular on auction sites, on your EKM online shop it is simply unnecessary.
- Use different coloured fonts in the same body of text, for the same reasons as listed above. You need to keep your fonts as simple as possible.
- Use lots of fonts - and indeed lots of text - within your Design Images, as this is something that visually impaired customers and search engines cannot read. If you must use text within Design Images, keep it short, concise and minimal - and always make sure you have spell checked it before adding that image to your EKM online shop.
What if I want a specific font on my Theme?
If you want to change the font that is currently dictated by your Theme, you can do this by requesting a Tweak. You will need to select a universal font to replace the existing version before contacting our Customer Support Team who will be able to request this amendment to you. You can read more about to Tweaks to your EKM online shop in this Guide.
What are universal fonts?
Universal fonts are fonts that will display correctly on Apple, Android and Microsoft devices. A Microsoft font will not display correctly when viewed on Apple devices and instead the device will display a different font entirely. The same issue occurs with Apple fonts when being viewed on Microsoft and Android devices. To combat this issue you need to ensure that if you are looking for fonts to use on your EKM online shop, you select a universal font. If you click here you can view Google’s fonts which are universal and display correctly on Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. If you have a non-account specific question ask the EKM Team, join us in ekmCommunity. [/contact]