[intro]Before you begin, it’s essential that you have installed the Import/Export System feature and applied descriptions to at least a single Category manually using this Guide. This is so that you have a template that you can work from when you are populating the descriptions for the rest of your Categories. You also need to export your Categories to a spreadsheet by following the steps here.[/intro]
Adding In-Category and Category Descriptions to your Categories is necessary to provide a good user experience. Regardless of which Theme you’re using on your EKM online shop, you need to ensure that the Description fields have been populated with some text, to help your customers discover what can be found within each Category. This is especially useful for visually impaired customers who rely on text to know what products are there.
Also, to improve the SEO of your EKM online shop you must add both Category Descriptions and In-Category Descriptions to all of your Categories which will, in turn, make your shop more visible to the search engines and increase its visibility within search results.
[tips]Adding Category and In-Category Descriptions to your Categories is just one aspect of improving the SEO of your EKM online shop. You can read about the different steps you can take to improve your SEO in this Guide. [/tips]
1. When you have exported your Categories to a spreadsheet, it should look something like this:
2. The next step is to add the Edit command to the Action column. To do this, click the column header to highlight the entire column and then click the Find & Replace icon on the top right-hand side:
3. Click Replace from the drop-down menu:
4. In the window that appears, add ‘Category’ into the Find What field, and then add ‘Edit Category’ in the Replace With field, before clicking Replace All:
5. This will add the Edit command into the Action column, so when your spreadsheet is uploaded onto your EKM online shop, the system will be aware that some of the information on the Categories has changed:
Adding your Descriptions
6. Each of your Categories requires a Category Description and an In-Category Description. Scroll along your spreadsheet until you find the Description and InCategoryDescription columns:
7. In my example, the Category on row 2 has already had an In-Category Description and a Category Description added manually. Locate your own manually populated Category, and use this as a template as you complete the cells for the rest of your Categories:
8. Now you have finished working on your spreadsheet, click the icon in the top left-hand corner to save it:
Your next step is to upload the spreadsheet onto your EKM online shop.
- Uploading your spreadsheet onto your EKM online shop
- Hiding your Categories
- Adding Custom Meta Data to your Categories
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. If you have a non-account specific question ask the EKM Team, join us in EKM Community. [/contact]