[intro]In this Guide, you’ll learn how to ensure that customers paying for their orders by using PayPal Express within PayPal Checkout add their telephone number to their order. [/intro]
If you have installed the PayPal Checkout on your EKM online shop and have opted to add PayPal Express to the Cart Page, your customers will bypass part of your Checkout Flow as their details - such as their name and address, for example - are populated not by the customer entering them manually, but directly from the details they have saved on their own Paypal account.
Whilst this is effective for customers who regularly use Paypal and require a quicker checkout process, it’s worth bearing in mind that some customers are unaware that they are responsible for ensuring that the details on their Paypal accounts are current; the billing details, contact details, email address and telephone number all need to be correct.
On a Personal PayPal account
1. To enforce your customers into adding a current telephone number to their order so you can contact them to confirm details or in the case of a delay, you need need to log into your PayPal account, and from the dashboard, click the Settings cog in the top right-hand corner:
2. Now you need to click Seller Tools:
3. Click Update for Website Preferences:
4. On the following page, scroll down until you see the Contact Phone Number element, and tick the box for On (Required Field):
On a Business PayPal account
1. If you are using a PayPal Business account, this procedure will look slightly different. Log into your PayPal account and from the top menu, select Account Settings, then click Website Payments on the bottom left-hand side:
2. Scroll down the Website Payments page to the Contact Phone Number header, and ensure that you have ticked the box for 'On (required field)':
This will ensure that your customers who use PayPal Express to pay for their orders add their telephone numbers during the process of payment and you can contact them directly if needs be.
[remember] Paypal is a third-party Payment Gateway, which means you are using a company external to EKM in order to process payments on your EKM online shop. With this in mind, EKM cannot control how the third party processes payments or influence their policies and procedures. Whilst there are rarely issues with third-party payment gateways, on occasion, it is necessary to contact them directly to resolve any issues as our Customer Support Team is only able to investigate up to the point where the customer is transferred away from your EKM online shop to process their payment before they are redirected back again to complete the order. [/remember]
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Ecommerce Expert or the Customer Support Team, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions Board. If you have a non-account specific question to ask the EKM Team, join us in EKM Community. If you need some inspiration for your EKM online shop, listen to our podcast on iTunes and Spotify.[/contact]