[intro]Before you begin this Guide, it is essential that you have installed Custom Meta Data (which will take you through the steps required to add custom metadata manually to a single Product) and the Import/Export System (which will enable you to export all of your Product information onto a spreadsheet) in order to add metadata to the rest of the Products on your EKM online shop. [/intro]
In this Guide, you’ll learn how to add custom metadata to all of the Products on your EKM online shop in bulk by using a spreadsheet generated by the Import/Export System feature.
Exporting your Products to a spreadsheet
1. Log into your EKM online shop as normal, and click the Features tab:
2. On the Features page, click Import/Export System:
3. Click Export To File:
4. Click Export Products:
5. Click Continue to Choose Fields:
6. Click Continue To Choose Download Type:
7. The download type you select depends on the number of Products you have on your EKM online shop. If you have 1000 or less Products, select a CSV File. If you have more than this, you may want to choose an XLSX File instead. Click the relevant green button for the file type you need:
8. Click the blue text to download your file:
The file will be visible in the bottom of your browser window and will automatically be added to the Downloads folder on your computer. Open the file to begin the process of adding your custom metadata.
Preparing your spreadsheet
9. When you have opened the file, you should have a spreadsheet which looks something like this:
The first thing you need to do to the spreadsheet is to add the ‘Edit’ command so that when you upload the file back to your EKM online shop, the system knows that some extra details have been added to an existing Product.
10. Click the A column to highlight it, and then click the Find & Select icon on the top right-hand corner:
11. In the drop-down menu, select Replace:
12. In the window that appears, add the word ‘Product’ in the Find What field and the words ‘Edit Product’ in the Replace With field, before clicking the Replace All button:
This action will amend the ‘Product’ and ‘Product Variant’ rows to read ‘Edit Product’ and ‘Edit Product Variant’ accordingly. When you upload your spreadsheet onto your EKM online shop, the system will be aware that some of the data for the Products has been amended.
Adding the custom metadata
Your next step - to make the whole process quicker - is to highlight the ‘Add Product’ rows bright yellow. When adding custom metadata, you only need to add it to the Add Product rows only, so when they're as highlighted, this should make the entire process a lot quicker for you.
13. You can colour the row yellow by clicking on the row number to highlight the entire row and then by clicking the paint icon towards the top left-hand side:
14. When you have coloured in all of your Add Product rows, scroll along your spreadsheet until you see the metadata columns, which are called MetaTitle, MetaDescription and MetaKeywords. Look for the Product and the Variants that you have already added your custom metadata to in the Custom Meta Data Guide:
15. Using the custom metadata that you’ve already added manually, copy this format when adding in the custom metadata for the rest of your Add Product rows:
16. When you have added custom metadata to all of your Add Product rows, you need to save your spreadsheet by clicking the File button in the top left-hand corner as normal:
Now you have finished working on your spreadsheet, the next step is to upload it onto your EKM online shop.
- Uploading your spreadsheet onto your EKM online shop
- How to add Product Codes onto existing Products
- How to add Weight to existing Products
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. If you have a non-account specific question ask the EKM Team, join us in EKM Community. [/contact]