[intro]When you have completed this Guide, you will have set up the functionality to request consent from your customers on the Order Summary page of the Checkout Flow. [/intro]
Depending on the nature of your business, you may need to request consent from your customers for services which are outside of your EKM online shop in order to remain GDPR compliant. A good example of this would be if you were a larger business with a sales team that usually make outbound calls to customers that have purchased from your EKM online shop. In order to ensure that the process of contacting customers in this way is GDPR compliant, you would need to request and record consent accordingly.
Setting up the Additional Information Fields
1. To set up a checkbox to request consent, log into your EKM online shop and click the Settings tab:
2. Click Checkout on the left-hand side:
3. Hover over Order Summary, and you’ll see an Edit Settings button appear. Click that:
4. Next to the Additional Information fields, click the Edit button:
5. Click the green Add Field button:
6. Click Select Field Type next to Drop Down List:
7. You’ll then be presented with a form to complete:
8. Now you need to complete the fields provided:
- For the Field Name, you need to specify a name for the consent that you require.
- For the Field Description, detail exactly what the consent will involve.
- It is optional whether you tick the Required Field box.
- In the First Drop Down Option field, add ‘Please choose’ or similar.
- Under the Drop Down Options header, in the first Option Text field, add ‘No’. Add ‘Yes’ to the field below.
When you have completed this form, click the green button:
[remember] It is essential that you explicitly explain to your customers what they are providing consent for, what will happen if consent is given, and details of how to opt-out. Reference to this can be made in the Field Description form, and it should be clear, concise and free from ‘legalese’.
You would then need to reference this consent on the Privacy Webpage of your EKM online shop, letting customers know how to opt-out and what opting in involves.[/remember]
9. You will need to then add some text to the Privacy Webpage on your EKM online shop, which further details the specific area of consent which is requested on the Checkout Flow:
Checkout Flow View
When customers reach the Checkout Flow, they will see the consent offered on the Order Summary page:
[caution] If you wish to offer consent on the Order Summary page of your Checkout Flow, you will also need to review your Payment Methods, as some of them allow customers to bypass the Checkout Flow, such as Paypal Express.
In order to request consent from every customer, you would need to ensure that you select Payment Gateways that can be configured to ensure that each of your customers will reach the Order Summary page of the Checkout Flow to see where you are asking for consent. [/caution]
Orders Page View
When the order has been placed, you will see whether consent was granted on the Order itself:
If consent is not granted, obviously do not contact the customer, but be sure to record this fact for your own records to ensure that this customer is not accidentally contacted in the future without their express permission being given.
As the EKM online shop owner, you would then be responsible for recording any consent given, making sure to detail when the consent was granted, who it was granted by, exactly what they consented to and what was explained to the customer when they consented. This personal data would need to be stored securely and only accessed by the relevant persons within your company in order to remain GDPR compliant.
Details about GDPR can be found at the following sites:
- The European Union’s GDPR portal
- The full GDPR legislation
- The Information Commissioner's Office (ico) Guide.
[caution]Please note that this Guide is for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon as legal advice. We encourage you to work with legal and other professional counsel to determine precisely how the GDPR might apply to your organization.[/caution]
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. If you have a non-account specific question ask the EKM Team, join us in EKM Community. [/contact]