[intro]When you have completed this Guide, you will have updated your existing Universal Google Analytics to GA4. [/intro]
[caution]Before you begin, you must ensure you have installed the Google Tools feature on your EKM online shop. If you have not opened a Google Analytics account previously, please follow the steps in this Guide. [/caution]
On the 1st of July 2023, the old version of Google Analytics (also known as Universal Analytics) will cease to process and measure data. With this in mind, it’s a good idea to upgrade your existing Google Analytics account to G4A.
Google Analytics 4 (GA4) is the latest version of Google's analytics platform, which is an evolution of Universal Analytics (UA). There are several key differences between the two versions:
- Data Collection: GA4 uses an event-based data model, meaning all interactions on a website or app are considered events. UA, on the other hand, primarily uses pageviews and events as data points.
- User-Centric Data: GA4 focuses on user-centric data, meaning that it can track a user's behaviour across multiple devices and sessions. UA tracks sessions and pageviews, which are not as granular as user-centric data.
- Machine Learning: GA4 uses machine learning to provide insights into user behaviour and to help identify trends and patterns. UA does not have the same level of machine learning capabilities.
Overall, GA4 is a more advanced analytics platform than UA, offering greater flexibility and granularity in tracking user behaviour, as well as more advanced features like machine learning and privacy controls.
When you have completed this Guide, you will have created a new Google Analytics 4 (GA4) property. You will still be able to access your Universal Analytics property on your Google Analytics account, but as this will eventually cease to record data, it is important that you upgrade to GA4 and configure it to monitor your EKM online shop.
Upgrading to GA4
1. Log into your current Google Analytics account, and click Manage in the banner in the top right-hand corner:
2. Now you need to click the Get Started button:
3. You’ll then see this window. Click to Continue:
4. You’ll then see this page. Click to see your GA4 Property:
5. Now you need to click to open your Connected Property:
6. On this page, click the blue button to go to your GA4 Property:
Your next step is to set up a Google Tag Manager account so you can create and configure some Google Tags, which are used to monitor the traffic to your EKM online shop on GA4. Follow the steps in this Guide.
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Ecommerce Expert or the Customer Support Team, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions Board. If you have a non-account specific question to ask the EKM Team, join us in EKM Community. If you need some inspiration for your EKM online shop, listen to our podcast on iTunes and Spotify.[/contact]