[intro]In this Guide, you can learn how to set up Age Verification on the Checkout Flow of your EKM online shop to ensure that any items intended for adult use only - such as alcohol for example - are purchased by customers over the age of eighteen.[/intro]
If you sell age-restricted items on your EKM online shop, such as products that are or contain alcohol, knives, tobacco and smoking paraphernalia, solvents, butane, fireworks and sunbeds, for example, you need to ensure that customers under the age of eighteen are unable to purchase these items.
To do this, you need to ensure that your Payment Gateways only accept payments via credit and debit cards, as customers have to be over the age of eighteen to own and use these. You also need to ensure that you have a Checkbox List set up on your Checkout Flow to ensure that the customer ticks a box to confirm that they’re over the age of eighteen and therefore legally allowed to purchase these items.
Setting up a Checkbox List
1. From the Dashboard, click the Settings tab:
2. On the left-hand side menu, click Checkout:
3. Scroll down and click the Order Summary Checkout Step and click the Edit Settings button that appears:
4. Click Edit on the far right-hand side of Additional Information Fields:
5. Click the green Add Field button:
6. Click Select Field Type on the far right-hand side of Checkbox List:
7. On this next page, you need to complete the fields accordingly, before clicking the green Add Checkbox List button on the bottom right-hand side of the page:
8. You will then be returned to this page, where you’ll see that your Checkbox List has been set up correctly:
9. You can edit this Checkbox List in the future by clicking the Edit button on the far right-hand side or alternatively, delete it entirely by clicking the Delete button. Of course, if you only sell age-restricted products seasonally - such as alcohol at Christmas - you can always delete the Checkbox List entirely when the products have sold out and you no longer retail age-restricted items on your EKM online shop.
What the Customer Sees
10. When the customer reaches the Payment Details step of the Checkout Flow, the Checkbox List will be visible beneath the Payment Methods. The customer will not be able to progress without clicking a box on your list:
How to Process the Order
11. When the Order is placed on your EKM online shop, when it appears on the Orders page, you’ll see the answer given on the Checkbox List displayed beneath the Product Details:
If, on a very rare occasion, the customer has ticked the box for ‘No’, you need to contact that customer as soon as possible and inform them that their order will be refunded and offer your apologies.