[intro] When you have completed this Guide, you will know how to link to an external website and where to add, edit and delete Webpages. You will have also populated your About Us page for your EKM online shop.[/intro]
- Organising Webpages
- Populating your Webpages
- Creating new Webpages
- Creating your About Us Page
- Linking to an External Website
The Webpages on your EKM online shop are the pages that are usually populated by large bodies of text, such as FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions), About Us and delivery or returns information.
1. To access the Webpages on your EKM online shop, from your Dashboard, click the Design tab:
2. Then on the red bar, click the link to Webpages:
3. This will take you to the Webpages area, where you can edit the titles, delete the pages and access them to edit them:
You can arrange the order that your Webpages appear in by clicking the hamburger symbol (the three horizontal bars to the left of the WebPage names) and dragging it up or down to adjust the position of a Webpage within the list:
The two pages labelled Extra are empty and waiting to be populated, however, if you need more than those two, simply create more. You can add as many Webpages as you need to your EKM online shop.
Populating your Webpages
1. The Extra pages are empty and waiting to be populated. To rename them, simply type the new Webpage name into the field, tick the Active box and click elsewhere on the page to save it:
2. The page will update with the new page name in place - all you need to do then is to populate the Webpage by clicking the Edit Page button:
3. This will open the Edit Webpage where you can add the content for your page:
To continue with the instructions for populating this About Us page, click here.
Creating new Webpages
1. When you have used your two Extra pages, if you still need more Webpages, simply add the name of the new Webpage into the field provide and click the Add Webpage button:
2. You’ll then see the new Webpage listed. Click the Edit page button to add some content to this new page:
[caution]If you are copying the text from elsewhere, such as a Microsoft Word document or a website, ensure that you paste it into the NotePad application first (if you’re using a PC, run a search for NotePad, but if you are on a Mac, use TextEditor). Paste your copied text into that application first before copying it again from NotePad to the Edit Webpage window.
Using this method ensures that any hidden code used to format the text or third party coding is not carried onto your Webpage, so you will not encounter any issues such as bullet points that don’t line up properly and text in different sizes and colours throughout the paragraphs.[/caution]
Creating your About Us Page
The purpose of an About Us page is to encourage customers to form a relationship with your brand and your products. On the About Us page you will need to talk about your company - how long have you been established? Where are you based? How long have you worked in the industry? If you have a real physical shop, it's always good to include a photograph here too or embed a Google Map of your location, detailing trading hours and parking. This adds authentication, especially when you include a team photo or introduce the staff member roles within the company to give a friendly personal touch.
The amount of content on this page depends on the Theme you’re using on your EKM online shop. Ideally, you should be able to view the entire page on a laptop screen without having to scroll down, so on some Themes, this will mean a little more text than others.
- Tell the story of the birth of your business and why it’s your passion!
- Introduce your staff if you can, or at least include a team photo or a photo of your business premises/branding on a sunny day;
- Double-check the text for spelling mistakes or grammatical errors before publishing;
- Provide links to your social media profiles by using your own images, or the Social Plugins EKM Tags;
- Talk about what makes your brand different from your competitors;
- Let your customers know where you’re planning to take the company in the future in terms of progression and expansion.
- Use CAPITAL letters at any point - on the internet, this means that you’re shouting and drastically changes your narrative;
- Provide links to personal social media profiles - use only the one you have created especially for your business;
- Use lots of images and a little text. Ideally, the text should be the main focal point for your About Us page.
- Use lots of different colours and font types. This will make your About Us page appear amateur.
- Link to your profile on a different e-commerce platform, such as Etsy or eBay, as your aim is to encourage customers to purchase on your EKM online shop. [/tips]
3. When you have added the content, click the Save & Close button on the bottom right:
4. Where you see your new page listed, ensure you tick the box in the Active column to make this new Webpage visible on the front end of your EKM online shop:
It’s also good to add links to your social media channels on this page too- either by a text link or ideally by linking a logo or image to your social media. This will encourage customers to follow you without them having to physically look up your account. If you have already configured the Social Plugins feature on your EKM online shop, you can quickly provide links to your social media profiles by using an EKM Tag. This is a piece of code that will display a given value. In this case, you can use the Social Plugins EKM Tag, which looks like this:
1. To add an EKM Tag to your About Us page, you need to add your text into the content field, and click the green Save button:
2. Then you need to click the Source button:
3. This will reveal the HTML code that formats the text:
4. Now you need to copy in the EKM tag, before clicking the green Save button again:
5. Click the Source button, and this will return you to the ‘normal’ view of the page text:
6. The EKM Tag image represents the tag that you have embedded in the page. You can centralise this or move it around the page until you’re happy with its placement. When you are ready, click the Save & Close button:
7. Take a look at your About Us page via the front end of your EKM online shop, and you will see the EKM Tag has output the icons you have set up within the Social Plugins feature:
Linking to an external website
From the Manage Webpages page, you can also link to external websites too. This is useful if you have a company blog on a separate platform to your EKM online shop, for example.
1. Click the blue Redirect button to the right of the Webpage titles:
2. This will refresh the page, and you’ll then see a field where you can add the address of the external website you would like to link to:
3. Add the URL to the field provided and tick the Active box. The page will refresh again. Finally, change the Page Name from ‘Extra’ to something more fitting:
4. Now if you check the front end of your EKM online shop, you’ll see a link to your external website listed alongside the rest of your Webpages:
If you intend to use a lot of Webpages on your EKM online shop, you may want to organise them into Groups. Click here to read the guide.
- Webpage Groups
- Adding Categories using Advanced Inventory Manager
- Category Images, Category Descriptions and In Category Descriptions
- Features - Social Plugins
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. If you have a non-account specific question ask the EKM Team, join us in EKM Community. [/contact]