[intro] When you have completed this guide, you will have successfully transferred your domain name from GoDaddy to your EKM Domains account.[/intro]
- Initiating the Transfer
- Your GoDaddy Dashboard
- Adding the domain to your EKM online shop
- Has it propagated yet?
[caution] When your domain is transferring from one provider to another, this can take up to a week for propagation to occur.[/caution]
Before you begin, you will need to have created an account for yourself on EKM Domains. If you have not done this yet, click here for the Guide. If you do not own any domains in your EKM Domains account before you transfer in your GoDaddy domain, the domain is free for the first year as it will count as your free domain name from EKM Domains.
Logging into your EKM Domains account
1. From the Dashboard, click the Settings tab:
2. Click Domain Name on the left-hand side of the screen:
3. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page and click the green Log In button:
[remember] If you cannot see the green Log In button, you have not yet opened an EKM Domains account on your EKM online shop. To do this, click here for the Guide. [/remember]
4. Now you’re logged into your EKM Domains account, type the domain name you want to transfer from GoDaddy into the yellow search bar and then click the Check button:
5. This will display lots of different versions of your domain name. Your domain will be easily found as EKM Domains will recognise that it is registered with another provider. Click the Add button:
6. You’ll then see on the top left-hand side of the page the ‘Your Basket’ element. Click Continue:
7. You will then see your contact details. Check that all of the details are correct and current, then click the Continue button:
8. You can purchase email for the domain at this point, but it can be purchased later on. Click the ‘No Thanks’ button:
9. This will take you to the Basket page. Click the Checkout button:
10. Finally, click the Continue button:
Initiating the Transfer
11. From the EKM Domains Dashboard, click the Domains icon on the top right-hand side of the screen:
12. You’ll see your new domain listed, with a status of ‘Awaiting Transfer from Registrar’. The registrar is the other domain provider, in this case, GoDaddy. We now need to complete the steps to initiate the transfer of the domain from GoDaddy to EKM Domains. Click the More Info button:
13. You’ll then see some instructions advising you to update the IPS Tag on the domain to EKMSYSTEMS. You will then need to open a separate browser tab and log into your GoDaddy account.
Your GoDaddy Dashboard
14. From your GoDaddy dashboard, scroll down to the bottom of the page to the Additional Settings element. If the Domain Lock is On, you need to click the switch to turn it off:
[warning] Before you add the IPS Tag to your domain, you need to make sure that you have backed up and closed down any email accounts that are on the domain you wish to transfer. This is because when a domain is transferring from one provider to another, it will not be active and the registrar which hosts the domain must host the email service too.
Therefore when closing down and backing up your email accounts, it’s a good idea to write the exact addresses down (such as info@, sales@, service@, etc.) so that when the domain has been successfully transferred you can set up the same email addresses with the new provider. [/warning]
15. Your next step is to contact GoDaddy Support, as GoDaddy does not allow their customers to manually add an IPS Tag - it is something only their staff can do for you. You can contact them on the following numbers:
- 0121 345 8279 (Birmingham)
- 0141 555 0201 (Glasgow)
- 020 7084 1810 (London)
Their support is offered 24/7, and if you are not in the UK, click here to find the relevant GoDaddy support number for your country. You then need to wait for around seven days for propagation to take place and the domain is transferred from GoDaddy into your EKM Domains account.
16. After waiting for propagation to occur, you need to return to the browser tab displaying your EKM Domains account. Click the Retry Transfer button:
17. Within a few minutes, you’ll receive an email confirming that you can now edit your domain in EKM Domains. You’ll then see a page where you can manage different aspects of your domain. Click Change Nameservers:
18. Tick the box to use Default Nameservers and then click the Save button:
19. Check your email (the account which is registered as the contact address in your EKM Domains account) and you will have received an email notification which looks like this:
Adding the domain to your EKM online shop
20. Whilst you are waiting for propagation to occur, you need to add your domain to the back end of your EKM online shop. This is to ensure that the domain is pointed at the correct account on the server. To do this, from the Settings page, click Domain name:
21. Click ‘Use an Existing Domain Name’:
22. Click ‘The Domain Name is not being used’:
23. In the ‘Enter Your Domain Name’ field, add your domain name with the ‘www’s and click the green Add Domain button:
24. This action will add both the ‘www’ version and the non ‘www’ version of your domain to your EKM online shop. You will see them listed at the top of this page - if you have a lot of domain names pointing at your shop, you may need to use the scroll bar to locate them in the list:
Has it propagated yet?
25. The transfer is now initiated, and you have to wait for propagation to take place before the domain is operational. This can take up to 7 days to take place, but you can check it by opening an incognito browser window and entering the domain name in the address bar. If you see this notification:
...this means that the domain is still propagating. However, when you enter the domain name into the address bar and it directs to the homepage of your EKM online shop, the transfer is complete, and you can continue to use the domain as normal. If you need to set up email addresses on your domain, this Guide will help you.
- Purchasing an email address on EKM Domains
- Adding an Alias to your EKM email address
- Claiming your free EKM domain name
- Adding an SSL Certificate to your EKM online shop