[intro] When you have completed this Guide, you will have successfully transferred your domain name from 1and1 to your EKM Domains account.[/intro]
[caution] When your domain is transferring from one provider to another, this can take up to a week for propagation to occur.[/caution]
Logging into your EKM Domains account
1. From the Dashboard, click the Settings tab:
2. Click Domain Name on the left-hand side of the screen:
3. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page and click the green Log In button:
[remember] If you cannot see the green Log In button, you have not yet opened an EKM Domains account on your EKM online shop. To do this, click here for the Guide. [/remember]
4. Now you’re logged into your EKM Domains account, type the domain name you want to transfer from 1and1 into the yellow search bar. You don't need to add the .co.uk or the .biz, .org or similar- you can select this from the drop-down menu to the far right of the search bar. Click the Check button:
5. This will display lots of different versions of your domain name. Your domain will be easily found as EKM Domains will recognise that it is registered with another provider. Click the Add button:
6. You’ll then see on the top left-hand side of the page the ‘Your Basket’ element. Click Continue:
7. You will then see your contact details. Check that all of the details are correct and current, then click the Continue button:
8. You can purchase email for the domain at this point, but it can be purchased later on. Click the ‘No Thanks’ button:
9. This will take you to the Basket page. Click the Checkout button:
10. Finally, click the Continue button:
Initiating the Transfer
11. From the EKM Domains Dashboard, click the Domains icon on the top right-hand side of the screen:
12. You’ll see your new domain listed, with a status of ‘Awaiting Transfer from Registrar’. The registrar is the other domain provider, in this case, 1and1. We now need to complete the steps to initiate the transfer of the domain from 1and1 to EKM Domains. Click the More Info button:
13. You’ll then see some instructions advising you to update the IPS Tag on the domain to EKMSYSTEMS. You will then need to open a separate browser tab and log into your 1and1 account.
14. Now you need to log into your 1and1 dashboard, and follow the steps here to change the IPS tag on your domain to EKMSYSTEMS.
[warning] Before you add the IPS Tag to your domain, you need to make sure that you have backed up and closed down any email accounts that are on the domain you wish to transfer. This is because when a domain is transferred from one provider to another, it will not be active, and the registrar which hosts the domain must host the email service too.
Therefore when closing down and backing up your email accounts, it’s a good idea to write the exact addresses down (such as info@, sales@, service@, etc.) so that when the domain has been successfully transferred you can set up the same email addresses with the new provider. [/warning]
15. You can click elsewhere on the screen to close it down. Now you need to return to the browser tab displaying your EKM Domains account, and click the Retry Transfer button:
16. You’ll then see a page where you can manage different aspects of your domain. Click Change Nameservers:
17. Tick the box to use Default Nameservers and then click the Save button:
18. Check your email (the account which is registered as the contact address in your EKM Domains account) and you will have received an email notification that looks like this:
Adding the domain to your EKM online shop
19. Whilst you are waiting for propagation to occur, you need to add your domain to the back end of your EKM online shop. This is to ensure that the domain is pointed at the correct account on the server. To do this, from the Settings page, click Domain name:
20. Click ‘Use an Existing Domain Name’:
26. Click ‘The Domain Name is not being used’:
21. In the ‘Enter Your Domain Name’ field, add your domain name with the ‘www’s and click the green Add Domain button:
28. This action will add both the ‘www’ version and the non ‘www’ version of your domain to your EKM online shop. You will see them listed at the top of this page - if you have a lot of domain names pointing at your shop, you may need to use the scroll bar to locate them in the list:
Has it propagated yet?
The transfer is now initiated, and you have to wait for propagation to take place before the domain is operational. This can take up to 7 days to take place, but you can check it by opening an incognito browser window and entering the domain name in the address bar. If you see this notification:
...this means that the domain is still propagating. However, when you enter the domain name into the address bar and it directs to the homepage of your EKM online shop, the transfer is complete, and you can continue to use the domain as normal.
- Purchasing an email address on EKM Domains
- Adding an Alias to your EKM Email Address
- Adding an SSL Certificate to your EKM online shop
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. If you have a non-account specific question ask the EKM Team, join us in EKM Community. [/contact]