[intro] Before you begin this Guide, you need to ensure that you have installed the Stripe Payment Gateway and the Customer Login feature on your EKM online shop. When you have completed the steps within this Guide, you will be able to offer subscription-based products to your customers.
- Configuring your EKM online shop
- Creating your Product
- Creating your Subscription
- Processing your Subscriptions
Configuring your EKM online shop
Before you begin setting up and selling subscription products, you need to prepare your EKM online shop first. This is because even though the initial Product is purchased from your EKM online shop, any subsequent Products that the customer receives as part of the subscription plan will need to be manually processed.
You will need to create the following on your EKM online shop to help you process your subscription orders going forward:
You need to install the Customer Login feature as customers must be logged into their account on your EKM online shop in order for their details to be retained within your Stripe account.
To advertise your Subscription Products on your EKM online shop, we recommend creating a Webpage to tell your customers how your Subscriptions work. They’ll need to know what Products are available as subscriptions, how much they cost, how often they will occur and how to cancel them in the future.
[tips]It would be a good idea at this point to set up a Custom Order Status - such as 'Subscription' - for any orders which are subscription payments through Stripe. This will make it easier to separate from orders on your EKM online shop which have been paid for using different methods.
When you have set up a Custom Order Status, you can also set up a Custom Shop Email for orders with a custom status, so you can create an email especially for your subscription customers to let them know that their latest purchase is on is the way to them.[/tips]
[remember]A customer must purchase the initial subscription Product from your EKM online shop whilst logged into their account and using Stripe as their preferred Payment Gateway. During the Checkout Flow, the customer must also tick the box to remember their card details. This step is vital as Stripe will retain the customer's information which can then be applied to a subscription package.[/remember]
Creating your Product
1. Within your Stripe account, click Billing:
2. Click Products:
3. Click ‘Add a Product’:
4. In the window that appears, click ‘Create your first product’:
5. You now need to complete the Product Name and Statement Descriptor fields. Make sure that the Product Name matches that on your EKM online shop, before clicking the button on the right-hand side:
[remember] You cannot add apostrophes, hyphens, commas, full stops and any other symbols within the Statement Descriptor field. Use only capital letters and numbers. [/remember]
6. You now need to create a pricing plan for your Subscription. Again, make sure all prices here match the Product on your EKM online shop. Complete the Plan nickname, select the Pricing, Currency, Price Per Unit and Billing Interval, before scrolling to the bottom of the page:
7. Ensure that the Preview contains the correct details for your Subscription and then click the button to the right-hand side:
Creating your Subscription
2. Click New:
3. Click ‘Select a customer’:
4. In the window that appears, click your customer’s details:
[remember]You will only be able to see a customer's email address listed here if they have already purchased from your EKM online shop whilst logged into their account, using Stripe as their Payment Gateway and have ticked the box on the Checkout Flow to remember their card details.[/remember]
5. You’ll then see this page, listing the customer's details when they purchased the initial subscription Product from your EKM online shop:
6. Scroll further down the page and click ‘Add A Product’:
7. In the window that appears, click the name of your Subscription:
8. Check that the circle is highlighted to 'Automatically charge a payment source on file' and that beneath this, is the last four digits of the customer's card number from their initial transaction on your EKM online shop. If you cannot see these digits, this because the customer must have ticked the box during the Checkout Flow to save their card details. You can then add some text into the Memo field at the bottom of the page if you choose to do so, before clicking the blue Start Subscription button in the top right-hand corner:
[remember]When purchasing the initial subscription Product from your EKM online shop, the customer must tick the box on the Checkout Flow to save their card details for future purchases.
This then allows their details to be saved to Stripe so you can attach the customer to a subscription. [/remember]
9. You'll then be redirected to this page, where you can see the customer has successfully been added to the subscription:
Processing your Subscriptions
By following the steps above, over a period of 28 days, the customer has paid for the initial Product (directly from your EKM online shop) and the second subscription Product (in Stripe, when you added them to the subscription). You now need to monitor the card payments received in Stripe going forwards, and ensure that you process a manual order for each subscription purchase each month.
[tips]If you think you may forget to check to see when customer's cards have been charged in your Stripe account, you can use Zapier to set up an email reminder. You'll receive an email each time a customer's card is charged and will then know when to process the order manually on your EKM online shop. [/tips]
1. Log into your EKM online shop, navigate to the Orders page and locate the customer's initial order. Click the Copy button in the top right-hand corner of the order:
2. In the window that appears, click to copy the order:
3. Click to keep the copied order linked to the same customer:
4. Your next step is to amend the Order Type from Quote to 'Stripe'. Then you need to change the Order Status of the copied Order, by clicking in the Status field. If you have set up a Custom Order Status for your subscriptions as suggested at the beginning of this Guide, you can apply that to your order, or alternatively, select 'Completed':
5. In the window that appears, click to 'Save & Email' so that your customer will receive a notification that their order is due:
[tips]If you use a Custom Order Status for your Subscriptions, you can also set up a Custom Shop Email which corresponds with it, so when you amend the Order Status to 'Subscription', the customer will receive an email tailored towards their subscription and not a standard 'Completed' email. [/tips]
6. When you've sent the customer their email, click to deduct the Product from your stock:
7, You then simply dispatch the subscription Product as normal and repeat this process each time the customer's card is charged through your Stripe account.
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. If you have a non-account specific question to ask the EKM Team, join us in EKM Community. [/contact]