[intro] When you have completed this guide, you will have successfully migrated your emails from our older email platform to a newer version with a lot more space to store your emails. Our older email platform will be discontinued at the end of 2018, so it's important to migrate your emails now, rather than during busy periods in December. [/intro]
- Accessing your EKM Domains account
- Preparing to migrate
- Downloading your Contacts & Calendar
- Adding Aliases to your EKM email
- Forwarding your email
Due to limitations with our older email platform, we are will be discontinuing it at the end of 2018. With this in mind, we offer an improved platform with more space that you can migrate your existing email accounts over to.
How do I know if I need to migrate?
Whether you are using the older email platform or the newer version depends on when you purchased the email facility from EKM Domains. The quickest way to know if you need to migrate is to log into your existing email account using your browser and look at the colour of the email platform. If it looks like this:
...you don’t need to migrate as you’re already using our newer email platform, so you don’t need to migrate anything at all.
However, if you log into your email account and it looks like this:
...then you are using the older email platform and will need to work through the rest of this guide to migrate your emails to the new system.
What are the differences between the old and new platforms?
The older email system offered four tiers of service:
Whilst the newer email platform offers two possible options at a cheaper price:
I currently have five email addresses on the old system - it will cost me more on the new platform!
It will unless you’re clever about how you configure your emails. Instead of having five (or more) separate email addresses, consider using aliases instead. An alias is essentially ‘another name’ for an email address. For example, if I owned five email addresses on the older system, such as:
I would be paying £2.99 per month for these five email addresses, however I would be limited because I only have 100mb of storage shared between these accounts, so I need to log in regularly and delete any unwanted emails to ensure that I continue to have enough space to receive new emails.
However, looking closely at my email addresses, some of these very rarely receive any emails. With this in mind, I could make these email addresses into aliases on my most frequently used email address firstname.lastname@example.org - then on the odd occasion when someone sends me an email to one of the aliases, it will go into the email@example.com inbox.
So now I will only need to migrate one email account with four aliases on it. The new email platform will cost me £2.49 per month and now I have 5gb of space, which means I don’t have to log in as often to delete unwanted emails and make more space. (Of course, I could use a mail reader program such as Outlook, Mac Mail or Thunderbird on my computer and set my new email account to delete emails once they have been received by the mail reader. I can also use a mail reader program to sort the emails sent to the aliases into separate folders to save me sorting them. There are links to the steps you need to do this later on in this guide).
The bottom line is that by converting your emails into one or two 'main' email addresses and using aliases, you can save money and have access to more space to store your emails.
Accessing your EKM Domains account
1. To migrate your emails from the old system to the new one, you first need to log into your EKM domains account. From the Dashboard screen, click Settings:
2. Then you need to click Domain Name:
3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the green Log In button to access your EKM domains account:
4. You will then see the EKM Domains dashboard. Click the Email icon:
5. Click Manage Mailboxes:
6. Click the Emails header:
7. This will reveal all of the email accounts that you have set up on your domain:
Preparing to Migrate
8. Before you press the Migrate button, you need to prepare by backing up and deleting any mailboxes that you will make into aliases. To do this, click Login to Account for each of the lesser-used email accounts:
You need to forward any emails you want to keep to another email address, and when you have ‘emptied’ the lesser-used email account of everything you need, you need to delete these accounts, leaving your most used email address left.
[tips] It’s worth having a notebook and pen handy to jot down the names of the email addresses that you want to make into aliases, as the aliases can be created at a later stage in this process. [/tips]
9. To delete an existing email address, you need to click Account Settings next to any of the email addresses you wish to delete:
10. Click the red button to delete the account:
Downloading your Contacts & Calendar
11. Repeat this process, until you only have your most used email address left over. You now need to click the More Information button in the blue banner across the top of the page:
12. You then need to click the blue Migrate button:
13. A smaller window will appear. Click the grey button to the right to download all of your email contacts and calendar appointments:
14. When you have downloaded the above, click the blue Migrate button:
It’s this action which actually migrates your email from the old system onto the new system. This part can take around an hour to complete so once you have pressed the button to migrate your emails, sit back and wait for the migration to finish - an email will be sent to you by the system once the process has been completed.
[remember] You will need to wait for propagation to take place when you have migrated to the new email platform. This can take around an hour, so please be patient! [/remember]
Adding Aliases onto your EKM Email
When the migration to the new email platform has completed, you will need to log in and create the aliases on your account, to ensure you still recieve emails sent to the lesser-used email addresses you have before.
1. To add an alias to your EKM email address, click the Email icon on the EKM Domains dashboard:
2. Click Manage Mailboxes:
3. Then click Manage Mailbox:
4. You can then add your Alias on this screen, putting the Alias in the field before clicking the blue Add button to save your changes:
5. You can also change your password on this screen if need be, but don't forget to update the password on your mobile phone or mail reader program too!
Configuring your Email
If you want to configure your EKM email address with your computer or mobile device, please select our guides:
You can also find links to these Support Guides within your EKM Domains account by clicking the red Email icon on the top right and then Manage Mailboxes - the Support Guides are listed with the light blue box.
Logging into your EKM Email Account
To log into your email account without logging into your EKM online shop and then your EKM Domains account first type the following into your browser’s address bar:
Then click enter, and you will see the login screen for your email address:
Save this address in your browser's bookmarks/favourites for future use.
Forwarding your email
1. To Forward your Emails from the webmail account to a personal email address, you need to log into the email inbox and click Settings:
2. Under the Settings header, click Mail Forwarding:
3. Tick the Enabled checkbox and add the email address you would like the email forwarded to. The Save Local copy tick box means that one copy of the email will remain in this inbox and another will be forwarded to your email address. Save your changes by clicking the blue Save button on the bottom left:
- Claiming your free EKM Domain Name
- Adding an SSL Certificate to your EKM online shop
- What SSL Certificates does EKM Domains offer?
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. If you have a non-account specific question ask the EKM Team, join us in EKM Community. [/contact]